Excellent: Even Reptiles Are in Good Hands."
One could claim that reptiles belong to a microcosmos of their own and that would be correct. It is also correct that Doctor Thissen has a personal affinity with reptiles, having observed them with great interest for a long time. As a member of the German Association for Herpetology and Terraristics (DGHT), Doctor Thissen is also totally up-to-date in this specialist area with regard to research and medication.
The practice also provides the entire spectrum of care for these animals:
- routine examinations without the animal having to be present (excrement and swab examinations)
- therapy of internal illnesses
- surgery, for example in the case of intestinal obstruction or when retention of eggs
Many diseases in domestic reptiles are caused by the incorrect way they are kept. Therefore species-appropriate equipment in the terrarium, species-appropriate keeping and correct feeding provide the basic needs for healthy animals and the best prophylaxis against illness. Please do not hesitate to ask us if you have any queries relating to their care. If you are uncertain whether or not your reptile is diseased, the following short checklist gives frequently occurring symptoms in diseased animals, in alphabetical order:
- blood in excrement
- diarrhoea (whitish excrement and putrid smell)
- increased intake of liquid
- refusal of food
- scratching (frequent) and lengthy bathing periods
- spindle-shaped swelling of the cloaca
- unusual behaviour in general
- unusual discoloration of skin or scales
- weight loss (rapid) despite good feeding